Pages

Sunday, July 11, 2010

LUNCH IN PARIS



Elizabeth Bard knows the power of a first paragraph...

I slept with my French husband halfway through our first date. I say halfway because we had finished lunch but not yet ordered coffee. It turned out to be a decisive moment, more important for my future happiness than where I went to college, or years with a good shrink. The question was posed lightly. It looked like rain. We could sit it out in a café or, since his apartment was not far, he could make tea.
Lunch in Paris
Elizabeth Bard
reader's guide


And a great throwaway line when you feel someone is reaching beyond their station in life,
"Tu pètes plus haut de ton cul."
p. 58

An idiomatic phrase that means literally, "To fart above your ass." Or, slang for "Too big for your britches."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts and recommendations here...